Monday 14 November 2011

Zelda Hyrule Shield - A little break

I'm taking a little break from Iron Man because the fibre glass is drying and also, I'm probably going to do another layer and I'm dreading it. Using fibre glass tissue is a pain. I'm opting for the fibre glass mat next time or I'm going to cut it up smaller then the size of a five pound note because they kind of disintegrated when I tried to smooth it out onto wherever I was trying to put it.

 Hmm, the printer had some new ink cartridges installed and it probably hasn't been calibrated yet. It's meant to be just grey, but then again, next time I go and print any of the pepakura files out, I'm going to get rid of the colour, it's just a waste of ink if I'm going to cover it in stuff.

 It's only took a day, but here is the base of the Hyrule shield. It flexes slightly which I don't like so I've gone and glued some scrap paper to the bigger pieces so it's a little more stable.
 This took a surprisingly longer time then I expected. It took me a whole day. I've got a feeling it was because I kept getting disturbed.

I'm really not happy about the Triforce in the middle. The left triangle seems to be missing an edge, there's no fold to define it and that's not all. The triangle on the right is flat. If I cover it with fibre glass, I'll probably forget there it is. I'll have to do something about this when I'm sanding in the details. I'm thinking 3 embossed triangles.
Here is everything just placed piled on top to see the effect. It doesn't look bad......... but there's something missing in the middle. I've gone and checked out a few pictures and I wish the part in the middle wasn't missing. It means I'll have to draw it in somehow. I'm thinking of making a stencil from a picture.

Another problem has cropped up. If I apply fibre glass to the underside of the shield, the top details would still be flimsy and I wouldn't be able to apply the P38 properly. I wonder if I can put on a number of layers of resin to try and make it harder or should I cover the front with fibre glass.....hmmmm, it might be an idea to try and use up the rest of the fibre glass tissue seeing that it's so thin.

While I'm thinking about how to sort out the fibre glassing problem, I've also got to think about what I'm going to put on the back. Should I go for the wooden back look, or should I just go and add some sort of Velcro strap to be able to hold on to it. Should I also have a method of being able to hold the Master Sword onto it?

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Do you have the link of this that you can show or email to me? Thanks!-Michael My email is nintendofanlink@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the link of this that you can show or email to me? My email is gabo_jony@hotmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete