Friday 11 November 2011

The beginning of fibre glassing, but compare first

Before I get on to the fibre glassing, I'd just like to compare the helmets that I've made.

 The one on the left is my first one. It's highly detailed and requires a lot of fiddly parts that need to be glued together. I'm using prett stik and it proved quite difficult. The one on the right was much easier and also felt more stable. It didn't have too many small tabs because as you can see from the mask, it was glue strips together which meant full size tabs to stick together.

 Here's the front view. The mask is almost 2 layers of paper thick because of all the tabs and it really helped with the solidity. The one of the right was also a Mk2 design instead of the Mk6 design on the left..... but can anyone else tell the difference? The details can be added in later.

 Front view. I've got a feeling that I want to make this again just to keep on display.

 Side view

 Back view

 Other side view

 There are holes in the eyes and the mouth area. I used some masking tape to seal them up before fibre glassing.

 Today, I've only applied about 1 and a half layers of resin onto the helmet. What you can't see is the underside which doesn't have anything applied yet.

I got the fibre glass resin and hardener from Halfords.
David's Fastglas Resin 500ml - 6.00GBP
David's Fastglas Hardener - 2.49GBP

Tomorrow, I plan to apply fibre glass sheets into the inside to make it more solid so that I can apply the P38.

Here's a closer image of what it looked like. The other 2 pieces are actually the wrist and the forearm.

2 comments:

  1. sir, which type of paper you use?
    normal A4 paper or card stock?
    i want to make this paper helmet and coat it with plastic.

    btw. you work is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I've been a little busy and I've got a lot of updates to do. I used 160gsm white card paper. Any thinner and it won't hold up when it gets a little wet from the fibre glassing.

    ReplyDelete