Friday 11 November 2011

IM helmet again Mk2

I've gone and made the Iron Man helmet again but from a different papekura file then the last one. I needed a slightly smaller one and to get a tighter fit to my head (not too tight hopefully) and also I didn't need too much of the detail that my current file had.

The file I'm using is called IronmanletterMk2. I've downloaded so many pepakura files that I can't remember where I downloaded it from or even who made the file to begin with. If I'm right it's Dung0Beetle's and I really need to give credit to him. Even if it isn't, he's got so much out there, I'm probably right. It's actually a  Mark 2 helmet but all of them are very similar and I only need it for the frame. The details can be put in later after I've put the P38 all over it and smooth it down.


 The mask came out really well. It kind of reminds me of Frankenstein from Death Race. There's a helpful bar at the bottom which allows the mask to widen itself instead of curl up like it wants to.

 This is the lower back of the helmet. It's actually 2 parts. They don't fit together perfectly, but everything's going to merge together anyway.

 This is the "frame" of the whole helmet. There's also another piece in the middle there which sets the width of the jaw. This was probably the part which caused the most problem because it was waving about the place but even then it was okay to handle.

 This is just everything piled on together to see if everything would fit ok if I stuck everything together with masking tape.

 There are actually small tabs that allowed me to connect the top of the mask to the frame. The rest was pretty much masking tape on the inside holding everything together. It looks really cool and fits together pretty well. The only thing was that once everything was held together, there's a gap between the lower part of the mask and the frame. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It shouldn't affect me much I don't think. The fibre glassing and the P38 filler should iron things out.

I was actually left with these 2 parts. I've finally found out that they're meant to be the joining parts to connect the frame to the back of the head. I'll glue these on after I've finished with the blog.

Next up is to fibre glass this and then put filler all over it and sand it down. I've still got to go and look for a silicon moulding kit.

The actual file I used to make this worked really well, and the only change that I made was to allow it to print onto A4. There were a few things wrong, but then again, it's much clearer then the highly detailed one and it was much easier to just think a way around it.

What's on my mind now is that this paper helmet had some ideas of how the back part could move up into the top to allow it to be worn...... but I'm going to be covering the whole thing in fibre glass. Should I split it up and put the parts together later, or just do the whole thing at once. I think I'll do the whole thing at once and work something else out later. This helmet wasn't hard to make, it only took me 2 days and came out really well.

It does feel a little small, but hopefully, everything will bulk up with the fibre glass and P38 are applied.

Tomorrow, the start of the fibre glassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment