Wednesday 16 November 2011

IM helmet with P38 filler

In the end, I applied about 2-3 layers of fibre glass resin on the outside and only about 1 layer of fibre glass tissue on the inside. The reason being was because the fibre glass tissue was a pain to use. I had already cut the fibre glass tissue into about the size of a 5 pound note but as I was placing them into the inside of the helmet, they started disintegrating when I tried to move them around into the right position. Next time, I'll cut them up smaller. It should also allow me to get into the even smaller areas. Now that I've gained the experience from the IM helmet, I think I'll have an easier time with the shield.

 This is with the filler on the helmet. I've almost used the whole tub for this one helmet. All the details have gone. I'm considering making the same pepakura helmet to get the details but I've also got another helmet already that I can use to get what I need.

Here it is partially sanded down. The Black and Decker mouse sander made very quick work of this. Mostly everything has been sanded down smooth, but there are some holes which I've gone and added more filler, but I'm still waiting for it to dry before I continue sanding.

The sanding from here on is out is down to my skill to see if I can make it look amazing. I'm temped to do it quickly for a quick test piece, but if I'm going to make a silicon mould from this, it's best if I make a decent job of it and make more. I've got a feeling that I can finish off everything in about 2 days..... which then means, I'll need the silicon mould stuff...... I've got to go and find some.

No comments:

Post a Comment