Sunday 6 November 2011

Iron Man helmet finished glueing......

Okay, I've got the Iron Man helmet made of paper designed from the pepakura and I've finished glueing it all together..... well almost.

Here is my Iron Man Helmet. With a load of masking tape to bind it together. I didn't realise that the chin, the face plate and the back of the head were in 3 separate parts and this was the only way to get them together. It's a good idea and it shows where the different pieces are meant to be.

Before I finished the helmet off like this, it was still in pieces and I was sitting back checking out this new Stark Industries website forum. It's got a lot of useful tips and you get to see some other people also building their own armour. I'll probably join once I get a few more parts. The most interesting part I saw was someone else also making the helmet. They'd also made it out of pepakura and fibre glassed it (now here's the clincher) and they've used filler all around it and smoothed it out completely so it looks really good. I'm guessing the next part was to make a silicon mould and make plastic copies, but my biggest problem was the filler part. Even if I can try to keep most of the detail after putting 3-4 thin layers of fibre glass on the model, I'm probably going to loose mostly everything when I have to put the filler on top to start smoothing things down. I can probably try to get the details back afterwards but right here and now, the details are irrelevant in the paper model. I could probably just get the details from pictures and carve them into the master model.

Anyway, I taped everything up and that's what you see from the model above. It looks okay and I really wasn't going to continue with the eyes and the cheek part with all the fiddly parts if I'm going to lose all the details. There is another problem that's cropped up. You might not be able to see from the photo, but it feels a little too big. I think I finally understand why there are sections on scaling and there was a tester helmet. The only problem is I don't know what the actual measurements in the pepakura means. The height, width and depth don't seem to correspond to the actual model, or do they and I've got it wrong.

The model is ready to be fibre glassed but I'm not sure if I should continue with this model. Even if I finish this, I wouldn't be wearing it because it does feel a little too big.

I've found 3 other pepakura files for the helmet and they seem to be much less detailed then the one I've worked with. It should be a very good idea, but I might need to go through the whole process of making it without changing the scale unless I figure out the scaling issue.

On another side note, my printer has run out of ink so I can't continue printing different parts out to continue. I can't even start on a new head yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment