Sunday 16 October 2011

First post of the project

I'm interested in cosplay and I've never been daring enough to do it because it does seem a little strange HOWEVER I've been a fan of Iron Man long before it came out as a movie.

The initial spark to start making armour was because my younger brother was asking if we should cosplay at the comic con that was coming up. He wanted to dress up as Kamen Rider RX, but a quick image search of what he looked like, it would be quite difficult to make a decent helmet.

As I carried on researching what cosplay costume I could do, I was thinking of making Link's Twilight Princess Hyrule shield and Master Sword...... and figure out a way to get pointy ears and a lot of green fabric to make a tunic..... and maybe tights. I found that pepakura files were available to make these out of paper instead of foam board.

I came across an Iron Man helmet pepakura file and I started to go into more detail. This really peaked my interest because I have the potential to make a full Iron Man costume. I haven't actually seen someone with a finished Iron Man costume made from pepakura except for the one kid who got onto the news for going thought all the step.

There is this really good site which helped a lot, but it looks like they've just moved and everything is still a little bit messy. Click here to go to the 405th website which helps people creating armour like costumes.

The iron man suit allows me to try out my skill in making pepakura files and also try out fibreglassing and polishing things off.

Here is the tester Iron Man helmet. I'm not really sure why this was needed, but it allowed my to try out making a model from pepakura files. I'm assuming it's for the scaling. This helmet feels a little too big for my head.

My aim is to make a full Iron Man suit and wear it to a comic con. However, I'd also like to have working lights for the palms, chest and eyes. The biggest problem I'm seeing is the face plate opening and closing. I'm not even sure where to start with that because I can't see the actual mechanics of other people's helmet. I might need to just keep it closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment