Saturday 7 January 2012

Zelda Master Sword

It's been quite some time since I've written in this blog. I've been caught up in a few other things..... like Christmas and New Year and some other stuff.

Anyway, here we go again. This time around, it's Link's Master Sword from Zelda Twilight Princess.

 Here is it mostly glued together...... I say mostly because it is still missing one vital part to stick together. The blade to the rest of it is not actually stuck down. It still looks impressive as it is now. What you can't see is that the inside, I've added another layer of paper to try and strengthen it.

 Here's a closer look at the 3 join points. The funny thing about this pepakura file I had was that the handle, the center section and the blade were separate. It was not designed to come together. What you also can't see is that I've modified the handle by cutting up the top and folding the pieces out so I can glue it securely to the middle section.

This is what the handle and the middle section stuck together looks like without the blade. I'm still wondering how I can glue the blade on so that it will be stronger then just sticking it in and hoping for the best.

Since printing this out and glueing it together, I've actually found some better files which I've seen people actually be able to build a life size Link. It looks quite exciting and and there are pictures of other people who have completed the project so I'm guessing that they haven't had to try and alter the pieces to try and put it together. It's not just the sword, but the shield too.

Next up is to fibre glass it. One of the problems I'm expecting is that it won't be strong enough because I won't be able to fibre glass the inside. Should I apply the fibre glass on the outside with the fibre glass sheets or should I just risk it and see how it fairs with only fibre glass resin? I've got a feeling I might just try the resin and never let it be touched by anyone.

There are a few other details that I need to put in sometime, like the tri-force on the lower part of the blade and also the handle is square. Should I try to round it out somehow? I might stick with the quicker option for the time being and just leave it as it is and do the best I can as quick as I can because I haven't finished one project yet. With no moving parts and a relatively simple looking (hopefully) design, I should be able to sand it down and give it a good look.

7 comments:

  1. Follow the 'life size Link' in this post. You'll find a link to the pepakura for an adult size link.
    Download the file and sift through it to get the part you want.

    It actually comes with all the graphical details on it, but I turned it off when I was printing because I was going to fibre glass the whole thing and respray it anyway...... I really should finish it off and post up the final product

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you turn off the graphical detail? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever think about Rondo on the inside? That way you get the strength without bulking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. when i printed out the pepakura files from the link you provided i couldn't get the dotted fold lines that you have in your pictures. How did you get that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi i cant download the pager what can i do :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Share the files please! the links are broken

    ReplyDelete